Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Different Perspectives

Do you ever wonder why some people just have different perspectives than yourself? The "some people" I'm referring to at this time is my dear sweet son Jordan.
Let me backtrack a little. We have a small strip of land (that sounds too grand) along the side of our house and garage. It's about 3 or 4 feet wide, covered with small rock a la AZ style and has a wall at the front and a gate at the back. It serves absolutely no purpose whatsoever except to give access to the house and consequently we never go down there. At the end of last summer, I made sure that I pulled the stray weeds that had grown and sprayed weed killer down to prevent any sneaky lurkers that might decide to show their faces in the future. Low maintenance is what I like!
A few weeks ago we had an unusual spell of above average temperatures in the 70's followed by rain and I just happened to notice last week that a weed or two was peeking out from underneath the gate. No problemo, I thought, I'll simply pull them like I did the last time. When I opened the gate though.....AARRRGGGHH!!! There was a jungle there. No kidding. The weeds were all down the strip and about a foot high.
This is where Jordan comes in. Always eager to earn a buck or two, he told me that he would get rid of all the weeds. That just confirmed why I love him so. Such a sweet helpful boy I've raised. He called me at work one day last week and said "I've done the weeds. How much do I get?". Don't you just love his entrepreneurial spirit? "I don't know", I said "we'll see" (my stock answer for many kid situations).
Well, on Monday I did see. He had raked all the weeds, chopping down as many as he could, left a big pile of them near the gate with the rake propped up against the wall and a six inch jungle instead of one that was a foot high. See what I mean? A different perspective to mine. Needless to say, no money earned. Just perhaps, I am thinking, I need to learn to be a little bit more specific in explaining my expectations. Another one of life's lessons for both of us I guess.

No comments: