Saturday, February 14, 2009

In the Kitchen

On Friday morning I woke up and felt like being a little industrious in the kitchen.
First, I made pease pudding from a ham shank that had been refrigerated since Sunday dinner. Brent really appreciates this new trend of mine. He hadn't had pease pudding for probably 15 years until I started making my own this year. While that was cooking, I juiced 10 lovely lemons that I bought from the market for just $2. I got 8oocc of juice from them which made 2 whole pitchers (4 litres) of lemonade. Then I juiced the grapefruits. The four smaller ones in the picture I got from someone at work but the four ginormous ones were from the market again and altogether I got about 3/4 of a pitcher of pure grapefruit juice.
There were some really good deals at the market this week including apples and brambles (blackcurrants) so I made an apple and bramble pie and was filled with memories of my grandma who would make things like that when I was a child. I rotisseried a chicken that I wanted to use in a pie over the weekend and kept taking a look every now and then as the chicken got his suntan. That has always fascinated me. Finally I made a huge pot of beef stew complete with potatoes, swede (rutabagas), parsnip, onions, carrots, leeks, parsley and some round white bean that I don't know the name of. It tasted really good and despite the size of it, there was none left by the end of the day.

The best of it all was, I had done all this by 9.30am!!!

2 comments:

CarolineNot said...

I was reading along, growing more and more weary for you with each new, exquisite, and even complicated food item and its preparation, then came upon the sentence revealing you had accomplished these feats -- one and all -- by 9:30 a.m.!?

Janet,...dear Janet, please tell me you went back to bed at 9:45 a.m. and slept until dinnertime. You are Queen Kitchen, and if I had a tiara of my own, I'd tip it to you. ºÜº

Janet said...

Go back to bed? I wish. Not on that day, I'm afraid, but I did save the treat for today. It was lovely.