Friday, March 14, 2008

Rawhide

Today Brent and I decided to pay a visit to Rawhide, a cowboy town tourist attraction on the Gila River Indian Reservation south of Phoenix. It was warm, windy, dusty and full of sights from the Old Wild West.
There was a field full of chuck wagons who were all participating in a chilli cookout so that was interesting to see how they cooked in the old days out on the range and the kind of implements they used. There were tons of western related stalls and shops with everything from clothing, log cabins and jewellry to John Wayne photos. Speaking of John Wayne, his Arizona car was on display, a great big 60s looking station wagon with a fur bumper that had cow horns on it.
In the arena they had horse riding type events but we just stopped for a few minutes to watch. There was a camel waiting for someone to ride him, burro rides for the children (funny, I always called them donkey rides when I was a kid), a petting zoo, some B movie western actors who I didn't recognise telling about some of the movies they'd been in and quite a few country bands dotted all over.
We enjoyed it, although I doubt whether we'll go back. Here are just a few photos of the place to give you a feel of Rawhide.

Some of the local wildlife.
Our next home if we don't keep up with the mortgage!!Some of the locals hanging outside the saloon.
Brent's undies hanging out to dry.
Me and one of the chuck wagons.

No comments: