Saturday, March 10, 2012

Being Frugal Part 2

I thought I'd try being frugal with skin care too. Actually, when I was in my 20s with small babies, I was pretty frugal then too. I used baby lotion for a cleanser, witch hazel (really cheap) as a toner for my then oily skin and then baby lotion again for a moisturizer.
Here are some of my wonderful ingredients. 

First, I made a toner out of glycerin, fresh lemon juice and water. I LOVE IT!!!!! Thank you Pinterest! I thought the lemon juice in it would maybe make the toner "go off" but it doesn't. It makes my skin feel lovely and fresh with a little tightness, which I like. 

Being stoked that this worked so well, I thought I'd move on and make an oil based cleanser. It called for castor oil and extra virgin olive oil which I decided to mix in equal quantities, although this can be tweaked according to your skin type. I've never used an oil based cleanser before so it felt a little weird, and to be honest, I didn't like the smell. The only extra virgin olive oil I had in the house was Spanish and maybe it was just a little too strong smelling. Too much like a frying pan! Then I found sweet almond oil in Wal-Mart and my problems were solved. It smells wonderful!

Here is my cleanser on the left and toner on the right in some travel bottles that are ideal sizes for what I need.
After rubbing the cleanser into my face, I wondered about the best way of getting it off without it leaving my face oily. Then I remembered when I went for my fancy free facial last month at the Desert Ridge Marriott, they used lots of wash cloths soaked in hot water on my face (at least I think that's what they were, I had my eyes closed). Wal-Mart came to the rescue again. 18 washcloths for $4, neatly rolled into a wicker basket and my spa experience can continue. It really does take all the oil off and leave your face feeling super clean.

I feel so FRUGAL right now! Not cheap, remember! FRUGAL!!!!!

No comments: